The Virgin of Quito, also known under the names of Virgin of the Apocalypse, Winged Virgin, Dancer Virgin and Virgin of Legarda, is a wooden sculpture 32 cm high, by the artist from Quito Bernardo de Legarda, which has become the largest representative of the pieces created within the framework of the Quito school, which was developed in the Ecuadorian capital during the colonial era, and which acquired great worldwide prestige.
Bernardo de Legarda was one of those mestizo masters who made Quito's art shine; He had made himself known in 1731 with his first important work, restoring an image of San Lucas to the Quito church of Santo Domingo, and since then he began to be requested for his impeccable work. In 1732 he was hired by the Franciscan parents, who They commissioned an image of the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception for one of the altarpieces of the side chapels of the Church of San Francisco that ran in the city of Quito. Legarda, aware that he could hardly create his own iconography with an image as traditional as that of the Immaculate (the one that does not carry the child, because it is hardly to be conceived by the work and grace of the Holy Spirit, and whose colors are always white and the blue one), he never even thought that he would achieve the most representative work of sculpture of what Ecuador would later be. The work was delivered to the Franciscans on December 7, 1734, date that can be seen in the stumps of the hands of the virgin, where the artist also left his signature.